She’s all set to showcase her collection at Paris Fashion Week, so obviously we had a bunch of questions for Bangalore based designer, Zara Umrigar. In the past, celebrities have rocked the life out of her sparkling creations, so we’re pretty sure she’s going to make a splash on International waters too.
Here’s what she had to say:
1. In one word tell us how you feel about going to Paris Fashion Week
2. What’s the one most important thing you’ll be packing?
A sewing kit. I have fittings only one day before the show!
3. Tell us about the collection you’ll be showcasing
The collection is inspired by the beauty of our planet whilst shedding light on the parts of it that are being destroyed and becoming extinct. From glaciers and oceans, to rain forests and mammals, there’s a piece that represents each. Intricate hand embroidery, plunging necklines, dramatic trains and grand silhouettes best define this collection that is definitely our most couture yet.
4. Did you have a muse in mind while creating this?
I envisioned a woman that was fierce, feminine and glamorous. The collection is named Gaia, which means Mother Goddess of Earth in Greek mythology. I was drawn to creating pieces that were symbolic of a woman who was strong and bold, drawing attention to the power each of us possess to make a change.
5. If you could have one celebrity wear your clothes, who would it be?
Blake Lively. She can do high fashion and then be really casual and fun at the same time! I love that kind of old world glamour she possesses too.
6. If you had to wear one outfit for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Skinny jeans and a white shirt.
7. A fashion faux pas you’ve made
8. The one thing you’re going to do as soon as the show is over
Celebrate at dinner with the family, followed by my first ever fashion week party!
9. A designer you look up to
10. Your favourite piece from the collection is..
This one’s tough to pick because so much thought and work went into making each piece but I’d have to say the peach, feather patterned gown. It’s classic, intricate and glamorous.
Stay tuned, we’re going to be bringing you updates from her show at Paris Fashion Week on Instagram. So make sure you follow us here.