The general truth – that carbonated drinks are harmful for health – is known by most. Many of us can rattle off the most commonly known side-effects of soda drinks, but the real truth of how much the consumption of soda drinks is destroying our bodies is downright scary! Read on to know why giving up soda, and diet soda for that matter, could be in the best of our interests.
- A single can of soda contains the equivalent of 10 spoonfuls of sugar. This amount of sugar, especially in liquid form, skyrockets the blood sugar and causes an insulin reaction in the body. Over time, this can lead to diabetes or insulin resistance, not to mention weight gain and other health problems.
- A 2002 UCLA study found that consuming excessive amounts of sugar reduces the production of the brain chemical called brain-derived neurotrophic factor, or BDNF. “Without BDNF, our brains can’t form new memories and we can’t learn (or remember) much of anything,” according to an article in Forbes magazine.
- Soda contains phosphoric acid, which interferes with the body’s ability to absorb calcium and can lead to osteoporosis, cavities and bone softening. Phosphoric Acid also interacts with stomach acid, slowing digestion and blocking nutrient absorption.
- Most sodas contain caffeine, the excess of which can cause certain cancers, breast lumps, irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, and other problems.
- Because of the high sugar, sodium and caffeine content in soda, it dehydrates the body and over a long period of time can cause chronic dehydration.
If you thought that drinking diet soda is okay, well, maybe it’s time to think again. In diet sodas, aspartame is used as a substitute for sugar, and can actually be more harmful. It has been linked to almost a hundred different health problems including seizures, multiple sclerosis, brain tumors, diabetes, and emotional disorders. It converts to methanol at warm temperatures and methanol breaks down to formaldehyde and formic acid. Diet sodas also increase the risk of metabolic syndrome, which causes belly fat, high blood sugar and raised cholesterol.
Save yourself much suffering and your body much deterioration and switch to natural drinks like, coconut water, lemon drinks and fresh fruit juices! This tiny change in your lifestyle will go a long way in securing your future health and overall well-being.
Drop a comment below and tell us what you think!